IRS Tax Problems

How to report bad tax preparer behavior to the IRS - Form 14157

Lee Reams II
How to report bad tax preparer behavior to the IRS - Form 14157

At TaxBuzz, we pride ourselves in spotlighting the best of the best in the industry. Many TaxBuzz professionals go through a thorough background screening and receive the TaxBuzz Verified Badge.

In addition, look for profiles of professionals with verified client reviews to help you feel confident you are making a wise choice. Unfortunately, not every tax professional abides by the same high standards. 

The two biggest tax preparation scams are:

1) Tax professionals who charge a percentage of your tax refund 

2) A tax professional who deposits your refund in their own checking account

Both of these practices are not allowed and are huge red flags to the taxpayer. 

If you have been a victim of identity theft, fraud, preparer misconduct or other unsavory behavior, you can report the tax professional to the IRS using form 14157. The form requests details of the complaint so the IRS enforcement can follow up.

share this post
Search for matches...
Lee Reams II

Lee Reams II


I am a tax and business news junkie who has spent the last 20 years developing and executing "best in class" word-of-mouth marketing campaigns for tax and accounting professionals. With TaxBuzz and CountingWorks we have taken that same commitment to quality content directly to the consumer. Keeping you up-to-date with the latest tax law changes, business growth tips and planning strategies to help you reach your best financial outcome.

Recommended Professionals

In the face of economic uncertainty, TaxBuzz is the industry's most up-to-date tax information.

Join 60,000 who get our weekly newsletter. No spam.

Need help selecting a firm?

Use our specialized search engine and get matched to the best accounting and tax firm for your needs.

Related Posts

Latest Posts